How is Good Academic Records important?
Strong Academics ?
How I flipped around the conventional model to recover from my school past failures…
Imagine my story as if it was you and what you would have done…
When I was at school, specially from 11 years old to 18, I always hated doing homework. I was very alert and conscious that I am probably living the best years of my life and I didn’t want to pass my time, precious young time, to fulfil my homework duty. Yes! Because I have seen it more like a job not being paid and always told to myself that if it was for me, I would have done it, but it is more a society thing, for the parents, the teacher or other people that I didn’t really care of. What I wanted to do was only enjoying my young life moments.
The result of that was terrible as I had very bad scores and was almost always close to do a second year. I managed (And I still don’t understand how?!) to get my middle school certification and succeed at the exam. Maybe because I had some interests in science. This strategy had definitely found its limits there since it didn’t work in high school where I followed the scientific path but failed twice (two years in a row) on exit exams.
- The right mindset wasn’t there.
- The cons of freedom (LoL) gave me the opportunity to do what I wanted
- No real structure at school to face or identify those issues and address them appropriately.
Then went to the army for a year and decided thereafter to go in the job market.
My strategy was just to find a job, then evolve in the company. But it wasn’t that easy. I followed an internal training at Disney to become a leader. I gathered most of my experience there, and it is still serving me now. It is one of the best schools of management I ever been to. I would definitely suggest you to start there.
The issue was the income, I was performing so well that I was earning the same as my supervisor and wouldn’t get any pay rise in the next 5 years.
If there is no scope for the next 5 years for you, just move on! X, Z, Millennial … It doesn’t matter, that how it goes today, people don’t want to be hire and stay at the same position until retirement. People evolve by self-promotions getting new jobs with higher responsibility.
I then decided to sell apartments. It was my first experience has a business director, I was 25 years old and after one year I winded up the company. It was so tough, so dirty market, the competition was using collusion technics to keep their monopole, this with the sectors notary practices. Anyway…
Save, save, save money before starting any business because licenses, taxes, insurances, transport, coffees with clients…etc… starts to be a lot when you are not making sales. And, it is not easy to make a sale.
Get a mentor, learn as much as you can, do some internships and ask a lot of questions to prepare your plan for the future company that you want to create.
Know your gapes and train yourself or with a professional help to tackle your weaknesses.
Let me explain why the title is about “Good Academic Records”:
I was so bad at languages, I learned Spanish and English for 7 or 8 years. But if you have red the beginning you will understand that I wasn’t also good at it because of my attitude towards school.
I decided to go the Netherland where I found a job opportunity in Amsterdam. After 6 months, I was able to market, write reports, do some accounts payables and support, All in English!
I then went in Spain, one week in Cordoba and another in Barcelona, I stayed with Spanish families who brought my Spanish level to the perfect fluency (some extra trips at Lloret del Mar also. But it’s been a while I didn’t use Spanish; I might need 1 or 2 weeks to regain my level).
Lastly but not the least, I went for a year in Japan and learned Japanese as well, working in English, socializing in Japanese after work. I was working in the Forex market and then I worked for Abercrombie&Fitch helping them to open their first ever store in Japan (Tokyo, Ginza Store).
Then everything changes and started to become interesting…
A friend of mine told me a story about his uncle who wasn’t very good at school and everyone was laughing at him. When got the age of around 35 years old and he didn’t say anything to no one and starts studying. He surprised his family after 7 or 8 years when they knew that he has become a doctor. Now he is making more money than anyone else. This story, I didn’t believe it and tested my friend several times in different moment of life and different time. I understood that it is true. I kept it on my mind.
We were unemployed on that time and struggling, conversation were going like:
- My friend: I have an uncle he is a doctor in the South of France.
- Me: Oh! Cool, but why are you talking about him now?
- My friend: He’s been a very bad student and stayed unemployed for a while.
- Me: Hahahaha, ok! you telling me that because of our situation. Hahahaha
- My friend: Everyone was making fun of him, but behind his back and he could guess it.
- Me: I hate people talking in the back of others.
- My friend: But you know what? One day he decided to go to the medicine faculty and secretly started studying. (in France you can study for free or almost).
- Me: I can guess what you are going to say, but I don’t believe you hahaha
- My friend: NOOoo! I swear! listen! After 8 years struggling, he became a doctor in his mid-40s and now he is super rich. And he is proud and humble.
- Me: Popopopo! What a story! It is impossible!
- My friend: No, it is possible, I witnessed it. It proves that we can make it…
"The power is on your hands story! Game changing for me…"
The best part of the story
Big meeting with myself to reorganize everything! (LoL)
In 2013, at 31, I didn’t tell anyone around me and decided to jump into a plane, booked my hotel while flying and went one year in Australia and have seen how the environment was. I never felt like this before. It was just the perfect environment for me to restart everything.
In 2014, I started a Diploma of Management learned many things, but more than everything, it was my first return to the model I hated when I was kid, but this time, it was for myself and to validate all the things I have learned in my working journey around the globe. One year after, in 2015, I graduated with high distinctions.
In 2016, I decide to keep going, I started a Bachelor of Business Accounting. It was even more exiting for me and a big challenge. I managed to finish it in 2 years and half, in 2018. I was first in my promo and had a GPA of 4.6, got the Academic Excellence Award.
In 2019, I have created my own business and I am learning, learning and learning! More and more! Always! I learn by doing. It is a test to see how good I will be this time in my business venture compare to the time when I failed in my real estate adventure for example.
Good Academic Records! That was the title!
- The lesson is to not just give up because we all have different journey in this life. Good academic records are not crucial but can build confidence!
- It is more delicious to enjoy your achievement when it is for the pleasure of learning.
- What about you? What was your path? Are you also wanting to get out of the conventional road and take risks?
I will be happy to hear about it
"Good academic records is still needed to enhance your chances of getting an interview.'
- Good Academic Records didn’t help my friends in general to get a better job but having a good network, Yes!
- If you want to become a doctor you better study while you are still young because the story of my friend’s uncle is super pretty rare and it is time consuming study.
- Nowadays, more and more companies are focusing on work experience rather than academic achievements. The sector of IT is the best example of it.
Sometimes you don’t achieve anything but some people around you do. Talk about them around you, you might influence the life decisions of your friends in a good way giving them hope and pushing them to do differently and be inspired by your story. Chikara Houses is working toward home spaces where people live together in harmony and work hard in silence for their success. Chikara Houses believes that shared houses are going the be the way of living in the near future.